Tuesday 18 October 2011

Crunchy sweet slaw with apple and candied pecans

I can't bake to save my life.  The other sister is the baker.  Somehow she inherited the baking and cooking genes, and I only got the cooking.  Last time I tried to make cookies they somehow tasted like plastic.

I think when I was born, my sweet tooth was replaced with a 'crunchy savory tooth'.  I don't crave chocolate but give me a bowl of salty crunchy popcorn and you won't hear a word from me. Until the bowl's gone. 

So... this is about as sweet as I get.  But I love this slaw! Green cabbage, granny smith apple, candied pecans, feta cheese, cilantro and a spicy southwestern-inspired vinaigrette. These are my go to ingredients for slaw and salads. I love the flavor combination and there is enough crunchy saltiness to keep me satisfied.



Ingredients:
1) 1/2 green cabbage, sliced into bite sized pieces
2) 1 granny smith apple, sliced into slivers
3) Squeeze of lime juice 
4) 1 tbsp cilantro
5) 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
6) 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
7) 2 tbsp maple syrup
8) Pepper

For the vinaigrette:
1) 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2) 1 tbsp canola oil
3) 1 tsp brown sugar
4) 1 tsp cumin
5) 1 tsp chili powder
6) Salt to taste

Directions:
1)  Squeeze lime onto sliced apples to keep them from browning.
2) Preheat oven to 375.
3) Mix together pecans, maple syrup and a generous amount of pepper.  Transfer to a foil-lined sheet.
4) Prepare a dish with foil-lined sheet on top.
5) Bake pecans for 15-20 minutes until the maple syrup is bubbling.
6) Transfer immediately to the dish with foil.  The syrup will solidify quickly.
7) Mix together all vinaigrette ingredients.  Use an emulsion blender if you have one to make it creamy!
8) Mix together the cabbage, apples, cilantro, feta, candied pecans and vinaigrette.

You can even make an appetizer out of this.  Just cut up some endive, and make little endive slaw cups!


1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this! I have a feeling it will be a hit in our home! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete