This beautiful [and tasty!] breakfast is a great way to start your day. It is hearty, filling, pretty to look at and...fast! This is the make for your fancy brunch or throw together on a wednesday morning while you're in the shower miracle breakfast.
It takes under 5 minutes to throw these elegant cups together before you put them in the oven. And the result is pure breakfast joy. Really.
I copied this breakfast idea from my good friends over at shrpknvs with a couple of yogurt sisters' twists. Check out their delicious recipe for "Breakfast Nests" - especially for all you poached egg, sunnyside up lovers out there.
I went the frittata route because I like a little scramble in my eggs, but you can really do anything to make this recipe your own. Bake the egg whole, or add any other ingredients you like in your omelettes. I went the simple route with fresh basil, fresh ground pepper and a dollop of greek non-fat yogurt on top.
Ingredients (for 2 breakfast cups):
1) 2 slices of prosciutto
2) 2 medium size eggs
3) 1 tbsp fresh basil (shred with your hands into small pieces)
4) Fresh ground pepper
5) 2 1/2 tsp dollops of greek plain yogurt
1) Preheat oven to 375. In a muffin tin, place prosciutto down to form cups (you might have to cut the prosciutto in half and double layer it - just play around with it!)
2) Whisk together eggs, fresh basil and pepper. The harder you whisk the better - get it as frothy as possible!
3) Pour egg mixture into the prosciutto cups (I poured too much in this time - you don't want to fill them completely to the top, especially if you add cheese to this recipe because they are going to grow!)
4) Put the muffin tin in the oven for 10 minutes. Take it out at ten minutes, and put two small yogurt dollops on top of each prosciutto cup.
5) Put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
I love the boys over at shrpknvs' idea to add cheese on the top and broil these at the end. I'm definitely going to try that next time!