Monday 31 October 2011

Quinoa Leek and Chanterelle Risotto

I'm in the midst of studying for my bar exams right now.  And I've got to say, enough hours of studying civil litigation and family law really makes a girl hungry!  


After about 15 aimless trips to the fridge ... opening and closing the fridge door ... I finally pulled out what's left of my vegetable drawer: a leek, garlic, asparagus, chanterelle mushrooms and rosemary (I really lucked out with my left over groceries - not a bad place to start!).  And I just started to chop...


...30 minutes later, somehow (because of my studying haze, I still don't exactly know how) this was the result! and it was delicious.  Delicious, practical and fast.  The beautiful thing about this dish is you can really throw whatever you have on hand into it.  


This rich, healthy and creamy quinoa risotto with sauteed leeks, chanterelle mushrooms, rosemary, asparagus and a touch of yogurt to the end to make it extra creamy took away my studying woes [even if just for a few minutes]. 




Ingredients [this serves 1]:
1) Half a leek, sliced
2) Handful of chanterelle mushrooms
3) 6 pieces of asparagus, cut in half
4) 1 clove garlic, minced
5) 1 tsp rosemary, diced finely
6) 3/4 cup of white wine
7) 3/4 cup of beef stock
8) 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup water
9) 1/2 cup of non-fat plain greek yogurt
10) Salt and pepper to taste.


Directions:
1) Begin sauteing sliced leeks
2) In a separate pot, bring quinoa and water to a boil.  When it starts to boil, reduce to a simmer until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
3) When the leeks start to brown, add the garlic and white wine.
4) When the wine starts bubbling up the sides, add the beef stock.
5) Add rosemary, asparagus and chanterelle mushrooms and simmer sauce down on medium heat, while your vegetables cook.  
6) When the sauce is simmered down to about half and the vegetables are tender, add the cooked quinoa. 
7) Stir the quinoa in to soak up all the delicious flavors in the sauce.  Add the yogurt and taste.  Season to taste with S & P.


No comments:

Post a Comment