Saturday 22 October 2011

Butternut Squash Gyozas with Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce

I wish I could take credit for this recipe.  But I have to thank agoisfoto.com for coming up with this amazing flavor combination: sweet butternut squash, salty soy sauce combined with a kick of ginger.  I stumbled across it and I just had to make it.  And believe me they taste as good as they sound [and look]. 


In true yogurt sisters style, I made a couple moderations.  I cut the sugar content by two thirds.  The butternut squash is sweet enough that I didn't miss the extra sugar.  I also didn't add extra salt aside from the soy sauce.  Then, even though I pan fried the gyozas, I didn't need more than 2 tbsp of olive oil to get them nice and crispy.  Next time I might even try steaming them!
















Ingredients:
For the Gyoza:
1) 1 pound butternut squash cut into pieces
2) 2 tbsp soy sauce
3) 1 tbsp brown sugar
4) 2 scallions, white an pale green part, thinly sliced
5) 1 tsp grated ginger
6) Wonton wrappers (I used about 25)
7) 2 tbsp olive oil


For the Sauce:
1) 1/2 cup soy sauce
2) 1/2 cup water
3) 1/4 jalapeno, minced


Directions:
1) Heat squash, sugar, soy sauce and salt until the squash is tender enough to mash.
2) Remove from heat.  Mash squash and add scallions and ginger.
3) Lay out wonton wrapper and add less than a tbsp of the squash mixture in the middle.
4) Brush edges of wonton wrapper with water.  Fold the wonton in half and seal edges.
5) Repeat with remaining mixture.
6) When finished, freeze the gyozas until firm, about 10 - 15 minutes.
7) In the meantime, mix the sauce ingredients together.
8) Heat olive oil in a pan.  When hot, add the gyozas, 10 at a time (I only made 10 and freezed the rest). 
9) Cook until one side is gold brown.  Flip and repeat.



No comments:

Post a Comment