Friday 14 October 2011

Creamy Indian Goodness - Garam Masala Chicken Curry

In April, I went to India for a couple weeks.  We were only there for a short time but I think I gained 10 pounds from curry alone (the butter naan was where I gained the other 10).  I've always loved indian curry, and every hole in the wall restaurant, every street vendor delivered dish after dish of deliciousness.  


We soon discovered the secret - lots and lots of ghee.  Maybe abit of cream too.  
  




I crave curry on the regular so I decided to come up with a healthier version of garam masala chicken curry to satisfy my craving.  I think this one comes pretty close to the delicious creamy curry I dream about from India.  

I made more than enough for one so I freezed it.  I am planning on going back to India for lunch for the next couple weeks!




Yogurt is such an important part of indian cuisine that it seemed natural to supplement the cream of the curry with yogurt.  I used a plain non-fat organic pro-biotic yogurt, but you can use whatever yogurt you want - as long as it's plain.  

I also substituted olive oil for the ghee.  You don't need much.  The flavors of this curry speak for themselves!

Ingredients:

1 large chicken breast cut into cubes
1 large sweet onion 
2 large cloves of garlic 
A generous amount of ginger (I used about an inch of the thick part of the ginger root)
3 tbsp garam masala 
1 tbsp cumin 
2 tsp cayenne (I like it spicy! so feel free to tone down on the cayenne and chili powder) 
2 tsp chili powder 
1 can of tomato paste 
1 can diced tomatoes 
3/4 cup plain yogurt
Salt to taste
1 1/2 tbs Olive oil

Directions:

1) Heat olive oil in a pan on the stove. 
2) Dice half the onion and add to the oil to soften.
3) In a blender, grind the remaining onion, garlic and ginger to a paste.
4) When the onions are soft, add the chicken and onion/garlic/ginger paste.
5) Add the spices and cook until the chicken is almost cooked through.
6) Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes and simmer until the sauce thickens.
7) Remove from heat.  Incorporate the plain yogurt and add salt to taste.

Serve with brown rice and peas, garnish with cilantro and enjoy your taste trip to India!






2 comments:

  1. Mmmm currry!!! LOVE this! I'm going to make Josh make this with me! So excited! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm this sounds really yummy. Thanks for sharing this, looks simple to make as well.


    Simon

    ReplyDelete